Gills Driving School can book all tests for you if required, we also provide theory classes for all categories of vehicle and for Driver CPC theory tests. Please call us today on 096 73030, email or use our Booking Form

Jeep & Trailer

If you need to Tow a Horsebox or Trailer with a Jeep or Car with a gross vehicle weight of over 750Kg then you must hold a full EB Licence. Without the correct licence (category EB), you are not insured and could be prosecuted.

Your category 'B' (Car) driving licence only covers you to drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg & trailer up to 750kg. If you want to tow a trailer with a gross vehicle weight of more than 750kg, you are required by law to hold a full 'EB' licence.

Steps To getting the 'BE' / B+E (Car / Jeep and Trailer) licence:

  1. You must hold a full car licence category 'B'.
  2. Pass your category 'B' theory test (If you have passed the category 'B' theory test in the past you DON'T need to do it again). To book your theory test go to or call 1890 606 106 & book the theory test for 'B' licence (Car, Work Vehicles/Tractor).
  3. Fill out the Learner Permit Application Form D201, for the EB Licence & post or bring the completed applications to your local NDLS office along with two passport pictures, the fee for the permit €35 & the cert from the theory test (If you passed the theory test in the passed & have all ready handed it into the motor tax office they will have it on file.
  4. Apply for the EB Driving Test on or by filling out the form & posting it to the RSA with the fee of €85.
  5. Take some driving lessons to get you up to the standard the tester will expect in order for you to pass the driving test.

If you have any questions or want to book a lesson call us today on 096 73030 or email or use our Enquiry Form